Hello fellow vapers, one and all. We have some unsettling news for you in the world of vaping and are sounding a Call to Action for Vapers everywhere. In our home state of Washington, our Governor Jay Inslee and his committee have proposed a bill that is designed to cripple the Electronic Cigarette Industry from the ground up. We have enclosed the proposed bill for your review below, but we will outline a few of the key points. These points have us not only concerned for our fellow vapers in Washington state, but for vapers everywhere. This bill is slated to go into effect in October 2015 and is being hailed as the baseline that other states will use for future regulation.
Here is a brief summary of some points contained within the bill:
- Banning all “Characteristic Flavors”, or flavors that are not Menthol, Mint, or Wintergreen. This includes tobacco flavors as well.
- Imposing a 95 percent tax on ALL vapor products. This includes batteries, kanthal, mods, devices, tanks, coils, no-nicotine liquids, and PG/VG (any blend).
- Raising the legal age of electronic cigarette use to 21 years old.
- Banning all online sales and distribution of e-cig products, within the state of Washington.
- Civil forfeiture for unlicensed transportation and distribution of vaping supplies. Meaning, that if a product is being shipped with the intent to sell, the vehicle (plane, train, automobile, etc.) can and will be seized by the state, with all product and method of conveyance being auctioned off, with the proceeds going to state funds.
The bill goes on with many, many more points that are designed to cripple the existing industry.
According to the bill, “There is no scientific evidence that vapor products are an effective long-term smoking cessation aid.” As we all know, that is patently false. Here are four links to studies that have demonstrated the effectiveness of e-cigs as long-term smoking cessation methods:
Overall, this bill will kill jobs, kill the industry, keep people smoking and has a high potential to be used as a standard for which multiple states to base their regulations off of. We need public outcry, and we need to make sure that there is as much exposure for this bill as possible.
For our Washington State readers:
- Please contact our local representatives, and email Jay Inslee. Here are Gov. Jay Inslee’s Facebook and Twitter pages as well as his contact form.
- Additionally, you may use the District Finder to find your local representatives and make your voices heard. This is a vital and sensitive time for the industry, so please make sure to provide a professional response free from insult or derogatory remarks.
For vapers in other states, please feel free to comment appropriately, and make sure to spread the news to your local news outlets and along social media. This bill needs as much exposure as possible to prevent it from passing. Thanks for reading, and let’s kill this bill once and for all.
By: Kyle Chapman